New project

hookup

I pour a SWM jig and have seen some add a small willow bladed spinner on the bend of the hook. Anyone have a suggestions on how to do this?

Creature Man

depending how far back you want the blade to spin, either just attach a snap swivel over the hook with the rubber tube material you would use for a trailer hook on a spinnerbait, or a solid ring over the hook with this same rubber tubing, or the dipping rubber material they carry at a hardware store with a wire lead to a swivel or ball bearing swivel. Most that are using a spinner R pouring half a swivel right in the lead of jig. You could also use a small diameter shrink tube over ring.

JUNGLEJIM1

Been using swim baits a bunch this year. I added blades to a few. This one was made by cutting an insert for another mold in half, bending the cut end so it would stay in mold while pouring. After painting I added a #2 willow blade, split ring and roller swivel. This bait is 1/4 oz and was poured on a Mustad 91768 1/0 hook. You can also tie in the roller swivel at the bend then add split ring and blade for a more compact bait. I did a tutorial on the tail gunner years ago here showing how I did this.

Attachments

• IMG_5476.JPG
    IMG_5476.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5475.JPG
    IMG_5475.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5480.JPG
    IMG_5480.JPG
    419.1 KB · Views: 4

Creature Man

Here’s a pic of some of my custom creature spins used for musky and pike. Of course the wire is threaded thru the plastic W/ ball bearing swivel in rear. These jigs capable of a 6/0 thru 9/0 Mustad ultra point swim bait hook!

Attachments

• IMG_4386.jpeg
    IMG_4386.jpeg
    732.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4388.jpeg
    IMG_4388.jpeg
    715.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3967.jpeg
    IMG_3967.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 7

hookup

What species are y'all targeting with the Swim Jig & with what kind of retrieve?
Small mouth bass of course. And any bonus fish that jumps on the jig

Creature man - this is exactly what I'm looking for

JungleJim - interesting. I may try this on too. I usually throw 1/8 and 3/16 oz jigs

Thx!

Creature Man

I fish Musky, so my creature spins are built for musky and pike. But boy, do I catch some dandy largemouth on them. Occasionally a big walleye, and a few smallies.
The jig heads I use for the creature spins are stand-up in 1/2, and 3/4 ounce, or the pictured 3/4 oz. swim jig.
Usually fish these on weed edges, inside and outside edges, flats near deep drops, sand, and rock bars.
Work best in 7’-16 feet of water because of the weight of jig. But can make these down to 1/4 oz. Heads when need a slower drop speed. Blades can be changed out for also faster or slower drop speeds.

You can hop these, or rod pumps, but I simply hold rod about waist high, after cast. Let jig hit bottom, then simply turn reel handle quickly 2-5 turns depending depth of water. Hits come almost instantly after stopping reel turns. Great spring and fall presentations is when I use these most. Easy to fish as one gets up in age like me ;). When musky fishing gets tough in fall, these usually turn the tide in your favor.
I always have a dozen or so made if anyone wants to pick up some creature Spins.
My email if interested, [email protected]
Thankyou! Creature Man

hookup

I've modified a SWM jig mold and pour on a 1/0, 2/0 or 3/0 91768 Mustad hook. Normally fish Piedmont rivers on the east coast. The jig is almost snag proof and the only time I've lost jigs in the rocky/ledgy rivers has been when I bury the hook into wood. Adding a blade helps seems to help the jig attract more bites when the water is murky or muddy. Most of the time, depth is less than 10 feet. Well, unless Helena rolls through.

Hawnjigs

KISS
There is one guy here who uses the reel & pause tekneek for walleye, and he usually keeps up with & sometimes exceeds the catches of the pack using lift & fall retrieves.

Mr. HU, are you attaching the front of the bait with a Hitchhiker ?

Back