Latest Greatest Softie

Hawnjigs

KISS
Actually, tested & proven when I first moved to Nebraska years ago then forgotten as I moved on trying other stuff. First time tried on a hot sunny day with the usual crowd of bait dunkers forcing me to stand between them casting close in straight out. Within a few casts had 2 chunk wallys 21" & 27" which were apparently ignoring the baits laying out there. Could tell the crowd was aghast that a lure chucker caught exceptional fish for the spot while they weren't getting bit on bait, so I took my 2 fish and skedaddled. They likely weren't pleased I was a stranger at THEIR spot.

Since the only option to catch wallys from shoreline now is small fish in small water at night of course decided to give those 2" baits another shot. Results over the past 2 sessions have been notable 18 wallys most short with 6 keeper size including 2 big chunkies + a surprise 20# cat & other species bycatch. Bead collar 1/11 oz HU head #2 2x hook with JiggerJohn's Boolie style gold propeller on the hook shank behind the head pinned with a Berkley 2" green back pearl Ripple Shad. The bait head is trimmed off just behind the eye to provide a flat surface for mounting on the jig head. The vintage Power Bait is very durable 2 baits caught all the fish.
1728667119725.png

Last edited:

hookup

I still tip baits with 1" or 2" Powerbait grubs. They still catch fish

Got this walleye a couple days ago on a small Keitec swimbait and a ball head I pour on a Gami 114

gLIqzJo.jpg

hookup

Keitechs are fragile, I'll agree. And they are starting to get expensive. Our local Dicks had a BOGO so I cleaned them out.

Did not keep. Caught at the boat ramp at the start of the trip. We usually catch smallies, c&r only and are not equip to keep fish. Our only cooler was full of drinks & sandwiches.

Biggest 'eye ever caught from that river. Also, got the fish less than five miles from my doorstep

Hawnjigs

KISS
What color did the wally bite ? 3" EZ Shiner squid scented ?

Being conveniently close you could investigate if there's a nite bite speshly if the ramp has a dock to stand on. If its lighted at nite that might attract baitfish and consequently predators including big catfish.

Back