Jigs in the rocks?

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
If you ever use gamakatsu jig hooks the 4 letter words start coming out well before you lose the jig. At 40+ cents apiece, you cuss every time you look at them!

cadman

Ron Don said:
If you ever use gamakatsu jig hooks the 4 letter words start coming out well before you lose the jig. At 40+ cents apiece, you cuss every time you look at them!

You are absolutely right. I don't fish Gami's for that reason. They are just way overpriced, plus majority of them don't fit any of my molds without me modifying the molds. Not that I try to talk my customers out of using Gamis, but the guys that buy jigs from me, want a quality jig for a fair price, and I put Mustad Ultra-Points on the top of that list for my bass jigs, I have no complaints.

CK3

The Charlie Brewer Slider heads are also relatively snag free.
Usually when I fish them I'm not on the bottom but gliding over it, the hook is upright so few snags. Plus you can buy plain heads and tie your
own patterns.

Hawnjigs

KISS
After a dry month finally got to field test two 3/16 oz. Sparkie jigs and quickly lost them both to bottom snags. So, for now, I don't notice any performance difference between the Sparkie & my old standard Do-it Banana jigs despite the Sparkie's more hook upright design appearance.

Didn't have time to comparison test the Cabela's Wobble Jig. If it demonstrates any improvement in snag resistance I will post.

But, our Big Island wave washed lava coast is very uneven & grabby - any kind of bottom bump will most likely terminally hang a jig.

Hawnjigs

KISS
My observation is in broken rock areas terminal snags are usually the head of a jig slipping between immovable rocks sometimes with the line pinched if the crack narrows down in the line of pull.

On solid rock faces usually the hook point gets stuck in a tiny hole or crack, often too tightly to shake back out.

In either case, reversing the direction of pull as much as possible is the only hope of de-snagging.

Back