Hair Jig Fishing In Cold Water

Pup

For those of us who'd like to fish and catch winter bass in mid-western areas of the country:

Cold Water Hair Jig Fishing

I think it's interesting to note that Brian (the angler in the video) is fishing his hair jig without a trailer. A neat little video imo. :jig:

JUNGLEJIM1

1/16 oz hair jig. What kind of hair? It pays to down size once the water gets cold. Lakes here will ice up tonight if they aren't already.

smalljaw

Great Video Pup, since finding this website and learning to tie smaller jigs my cold water catch rates have really improved. I also like the info he gave about the trailer and that info is spot on for any hair jig, I will do better on just a plain 1/8oz buck tail with no trailer, my buddy thought I was nuts until I had 3 fish to his zero and then he began to do it too, that was 20 years ago and it still works but you have to try both to see, in other words you need patience. Thanks for the post.

smalljaw

I think the article along with the video really puts the technique in perspective, thanks for the article Len. I have done well over the years fishing my 1/8oz rabbit hair jigs and buck tail jigs and I never considered going smaller, about the only thing I would do is add a trailer or take a trailer off, that is it. When I found this web site it changed my tying and my fishing, I got better at both. I began tying jigs for crappie as well as trout but my cold water bass fishing got better, I was catching more and not just the cold water period, I was applying the hair jig in warm water sometimes using a fixed float and I was catching while others weren't, true, they weren't giants but I had action and I got some decent size fish too. I will say that the method of "sissy jigging" is something that if I'm out in the cold and I don't get a bite in an hour, well I'm going home because the technique is that good that even in the worst conditions it has produced bites so I know if they won't hit that, then they won't hit much anything else either.

Back