Glow overcoat questions

Shoemoo

I picked up some Pro-Tec super glow green at Cabela's on a whim. The glow colors need a base coat or else they turn out dark. I have white and green chartreuse. Which would make the best base coat? Should I apply the second coat before curing, or cure the base coat and then cure again for the second coat?

LedHed

Sponsor
I don't use a basecoat - probably should - jigs glow fine.

The white would make a better basecoat - think that's what the manufacture recommends. Cure after you apply both coats.

Shoemoo

I painted a few as an experiment and thought folks might be interested in the results. Here is a picture of two 1/16 ounce heads of each color combo.

2012-02-18173711-1.jpg

Top left is glow over uncoated heads. Top right is glow over white. Bottom left is glow over watermelon flake. Bottom right is glow over chart green. I did not use a fluid bed.

Green over white came out kind of blotchy. It's hard to get a completely even coat. It does play nicely with other green colors as a base coat. I couldn't see much difference in color between chart green and watermelon flake heads without the glow paint.

The glow pigment is not mixed evenly through the powder. It's little flecks of glowing powder that may or may not land on every part of the head. The glow color is also independent of the green pigment. There are spots on the white undercoat heads that are green in normal light, but don't glow. Not sure if a fluid bed would help here or not.

Shoemoo

Glow is the same on all of them. They do glow a long time when properly charged. I had a couple of them under a 365 nm LED blacklight for about 5 minutes, and they're still glowing 3 hours later.

I actually made 5 of each. Some individual heads glow more than others, depending on how much glow pigment landed on it. Kind of like on metal flake colors how some heads end up with more glitter than others, or more glitter on one side.

Since it didn't change the color of the base coat on the watermelon flake and chart green, you could fish them as normal colored heads during the day and glow heads after dark. The unpainted heads were fairly new, so they hadn't oxidized much. They have a silvery-green sheen to them.

I'm interested in trying the same trick over other like colors such as blue, pink and orange. I think Chuck and Deb have the cheapest prices on the super glow paints.

LedHed

Sponsor
Excellent post and very interesting results. Like to see what else you come up with the other colors.

Fatman

Great review on the glow and base coats. I know some who use silver as a base coat with candy colors - would the silver help it more??? for those who have it??

LedHed

Sponsor
Sm - I fluff and stuff my glow paints also, just doesn't give it a good even coat. You really see it with the glow colors. The paint seems to clump more than the standard color paint. Probably should start using the fluid bed with glow colors.

Back