wire leaders vs sharp teeth

SPOONMINNOW

I finally got tired of losing so many lures to pickerel. A few days ago my Zara Spook-like surface lure was gone in a second along with 3 - 5" swimbaits! So, I searched my wire leader selection (not used in over 10 years) and found one only 6lb test in diameter with a duo-lock snap-to-loop at one end and swivel at the other. This crappie caught on a swimbait ignored the wire completely
IMG_9717.JPG
As did this 4 lb bass:
3 lb OL bass west side of Casina Pt.jpg

Note: Line or leader diameter should be thin enough so as not to affect lure action. I wouldn't even use a leader if there were no pickerel present, but this year they are big, viscious and out in force!

Here's a shot of the leader attached to the swimbait's weighted hook:
IMG_9723.JPG

Hawnjigs

KISS
Nice bass ! How big do the pickerel get ?

I've never targeted species requiring wire leaders, some pike fisherman recommend 20-25# test tuff mono leaders?

SPOONMINNOW

I don't targe species that require a leader, but the pickerel in my local lake are hitting big time this year biting off a lot of angler's lures - even a Zara Spook in my case!

The pick went over 30" before it cut the line at the boat. Never saw the one that consumed the Spook.

Creature Man

if you can find some 49 strand. Not sure the lightest test they make. U can tie a jig loop knot, and not have the snap and crimp. If anything will detour bites, it’s the crimp and snap. on the front side, find a small solid ring to tie to line and leader!
Been using wire for years fishing bass. Even in tournaments. Love the way wire slices weeds.
Bass don’t care about the wire. They inhale everything they seek to eat?
Creature Man

SPOONMINNOW

They inhale everything they seek to eat?

Recently I found this true even with panfish. A few days ago I had a buddy tie on a thin wire leader with duo-lock and light jig, #10 test braid.. It didn't affect his or my catch rate at all.
This swimbait with leader caught bass and a few crappie.
IMG_9723.JPG IMG_9718.JPG

Yesterday I attached it to a 1/16 oz, #4 hook jig and caught nice size sunfish, perch and a small carp. (Been a strange year...)

Back