Fish Hair Automatic Jig Tying Machine?

Jay Wirth

I have seen pictures. I cant believe that the time it takes to thread the machine, attach jig, attach hair etc that it is even equal to the time it would take a person could tie a single jig by hand. Would be an ok purchase if you like to collect tying history. Save your money and have a pro teach you how to tie a real jig.

hookup

Charlie Case made a bucktail jig tying machine from a few pieces of scrap iron and an old style spinning reel.

He brought this to a rodeo once and made everyone a bucktail while sitting around the fire sip'n barley pops.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen the homemade one on YouTube before. It sounded more like this was a production made thing and i've never heard of such a thing. I would not buy it myself..... but want to see what it actually is though. Did a web search and really did not find anything.

JSC

Have seen this one in action (Fishair) and worked real well (demo was on large 1 oz and up .. in Hattiesburg MS at our dealer show one year)
I don't know if Fishair is still in biz .. have used a lot of their material.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
My memory sucks................. :beat-up:

I should just know better and assume you would have it is it has anything to do with tackle crafting.

LedHed

Sponsor
When we started this thing Russ - I told you that was one of my goals for the site - we will be the "go to" place to locate information on vintage/antique fly-tying & jig-crafting equipment. We probably already have more archived data info on jig crafting then any other site. And growing!

The guy's winder must be in pristine condition or he has a ton of materials...... I'd like to see the pictures of his winder.

fishhunter775

Future Sponsor
I thought about one of those back when they still offered it but decided I could do as well on my vise and save my money ha ha. Have been told they work real well but still didn't get sold on it. It would make a nice collection piece if a fellow wanted to put that into it.

hookup

If I wanted one, I'd make one similar to Charilie's. Low cost, effective.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I could be wrong..... but comparing to other pictures it looks like this one is missing something on the back side between the motor and the spool?

LedHed

Sponsor
Missing the finish pot. The picture kdog posted is an eye opener for me.

View attachment 4

This vise has the pin jaws - missing the vise jaws. Going to have to look around...

Attachments

• Tube Vise 001.jpg
    Tube Vise 001.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 63

Kdog

This thread has really got my interest and I've been searching high and low for a video of one in action. No luck so far.
However, I've picked up bits and pieces along the way.

First, the adhesive is applied to all of the thread and not as a thread finish.

Any vise could be used. The bottom line model used a long nosed vice grip for a vise,

Not all models were made with thread glueing accessory.

Here is a video of someone's robotic fly tying machine...... http://singlebarbed.com/2010/03/01/...ling-evidence-is-the-machine-tied-fly-a-myth/

gaspumper

I had one of those machines years ago,takes a while to learn how to use it but once you master it works like a charm.I was able to tie around 95 jigs an hour with mine.If I recall right I paid around $800 for it back in the 80's.

Back