Fall Bite

Arne

Fall is here. The white bass are in the rockpiles.. Where I fish there are old foundations scattered around the lake. The bass love them. 2 1/2 hours 18 whites, 3 wipers, one drum and a 14 lb channel cat. Seems like the big ones show up this time of year too. Most were in the 14 inch range on up. Using a blade bait from a do it mold, caught a few but wasn't great. Changed to a tail spinner and they lit off. Make the tail spinners with an old casting sinker mold, whittled on it some with a dremel. Made a thru wire top to bottom for line attach and hook attach. Whittled a channel for a barrel swivel on the back end and attach a spinner to it. If I knew how to post pics I would. Anyway, time to get out there and get to fishing. Arne.

Hawnjigs

KISS
14" white bass is a chunk ! Good #s of nice fish out your way. How long will the bite last?

With canal flows here shut down for now annual maintenance, reservoir inlets & outlets no longer offer aerated flowing water to attract predators & prey. The diminishing water levels in the canals however offer a short window of excellent fishing when fish are forced to congregate in the few deeper remaining pools and outbend cuts Predators are hungry and active until the shrinking water no longer has sufficient oxygen to sustain life, eventually resulting in a total fish and forage kill. This past Saturday codgers Bill, Billy, & me jigged up maybe 150 smallies & a half dozen wallys nothing big but still fun sized worth pursuing. Past 3 days I've targeted trout in a different canal section 43 total most 15-17", no biguns this year since last year both the wash down source lake & canal were totally fish killed and this years fish were lake stocked in Spring at 8-10". On a robust diet of crawdads the trout grow fast and fat, local lifer Kelly claims that in another year they could be at least 5# maybe up to 8# if they weren't killed off.

The smallies bit anything, the wallys preferred a chartreuse twister, & the trout liked a dark fur tie or 2" Power Bait black shad Ripple Shad.

Arne

that bite should last for a few to a couple weeks yet. Biggest problem is the winds will be coming up. Can't get down there for the rest of this week. Maybe next week will be good still. They are talking about some nice weather and taking the boat out I like to have it decent. Arne.

Back