An idea to keep soft plastics up on jigheads - the Grub Grip

SPOONMINNOW

This is the end product of the grub-grip.

bKl1UbR.jpg
xW7htHi.jpg

Gut some 24 gage coated floral arrangement wire

OB3N7Ll.jpg

Snip a section off and line it up to the line tie post:

Gxwy8vs.jpg

Wrap one end around the post tightly:

KfSBlOD.jpg

Snip off one side close and use pliers to make it tighter:

uILp5tn.jpg

Bend the wire as shown:

zP8ojLo.jpg

Swing the wire into the lure as seen above and it will never slide back.
I buy jigs with no lead collars which damage soft plastics and shortens their usefulness.

I use the same wire to keep skirted bass-jig tailers from falling off.

1723686762385.png

1723686762401.pngAn

SPOONMINNOW

The problem with glue is when changing lures.
1. bits of the plastic is still attached
2. the lure can't be reused.

SPOONMINNOW

Not an improvement plus they won't stay in place like one side that's wrapped tight.
JMO

Creature Man

hawn, that’s what I use for plastics and a Jig. Simple small bead of Super Glue. Stealthy and Clean.
No problems attaching another plastic dressing. A simple couple strokes with a file removes any remaining glue off jig!
Creature man 🦎

SPOONMINNOW

Glad glue works for all of you.
The nice thing about fishing are the alternatives that work for each of us. In fact most forums where I suggested the grub grip, no one has said they've tried it - glue being mentioned the most.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Some innovations aren't appreciated till after the creator is gone. The wire bait holder is a good idea, but my bead collars work OK and I ain't fixin what ain't broke. The original spike "barb" collars on jig heads have updated designs available, but they are still widely used successfully by generations of anglers. Good nuff fer mah daddy good nuff fer me.

toadfrog

Being the lazy lout that I am , I tie a heavy thread down the shank . Going down a bit then back to the head leaving a space between the wraps . Tie off at the head . Then hit it with what ever glue I have around. This gives it a screw effect . Holds the bait and I can reuse the plastic. This is easiest with a bobbin and vice and you can do a bunch in just a few minutes. I have hated those wire keepers that came up to go in molds . Sold them but never used them for myself. Probably got couple hundred in a drawer someplace .

hookup

I use a single barb to hold soft plastics onto the jig. Most of the plastics I use get so tore up by the small mouth caught, that they get replaced frequently. The only exception is elastec, and once that stuff is on the barb, it's a chore to remove by man or fish

Hawnjigs

KISS
Hey Toad, yer still kickin', eh? I tried the thread wrap on the shank sealed with nail polish, and that collar seemed too narrow to grip as welll as my preferred super glued bead stacks.

Elaz-tech is truly amazing stuff, besides being extraordinarily durable, its extreme pliability enables more action than traditional soft plastics especially paddle tail designs. Waiting for Z-man to offer downsize baits like the Bobby Garland 2" Baby Shad which blue ice color was the ticket last night for 11 wipers and 6 white bass + incidental bycatch of a few smallies and crappie. Nothing big, but not dinks either.

toadfrog

Hey Toad, yer still kickin', eh? I tried the thread wrap on the shank sealed with nail polish, and that collar seemed too narrow to grip as welll as my preferred super glued bead stacks.

Elaz-tech is truly amazing stuff, besides being extraordinarily durable, its extreme pliability enables more action than traditional soft plastics especially paddle tail designs. Waiting for Z-man to offer downsize baits like the Bobby Garland 2" Baby Shad which blue ice color was the ticket last night for 11 wipers and 6 white bass + incidental bycatch of a few smallies and crappie. Nothing big, but not dinks either.
I'm kick'in but not to long a strokes. Done very little tackle last few years . Seem to have lost my mojo. But I do still keep an eye on you guys. Most of ya'all still hang'in around from time to time . That's a good thing. Old friends are hard to come by.

Back